Scion is a New Zealand government research institute that provides technical and scientific capability in forestry, wood products and bio-products research, and development with a high-value manufacturing focus.
Based in Rotorua, the centre of commercial forestry in New Zealand, Scion has gained an international reputation in its areas of expertise: sustainable forest management and tree breeding; wood processing, wood-product and wood-derived materials; wood- related bio-energy; waste streams and other bio- materials; and forestry-based ecosystem services.
With well-established international linkages, Scion is adept at assembling multi-disciplinary teams through collaborations in Europe, Asia, the United States, Canada and Australia.
Scion is distinctive in being able to offer research and development services across the entire forestry value chain. Also exceptional, is Scion’s breadth of equipment and plant, enabling it to provide research and development services from laboratory to pilot plant to industrial-scale levels.
Scion’s powerful vision of ‘Prosperity from trees’, is strongly aligned with government and industry goals. This vision encompasses all that Scion does to drive innovation and growth for the sectors it serves, creating economic value and contributing to beneficial environmental and social outcomes for New Zealand.
Scion’s capabilities in forest science include:
- genetics (tree breeding, propagation and research nursery)
- management systems (productivity, tree growth and quality, operations, economics, ecosystems and climate)
- protection (fire, disease and pests)
- industry informatics (software engineering, geomatics and bioinformatics).
Novel ways of using wood and plant fibres is the focus of Scion’s manufacturing and bio-products science disciplines. These include:
- wood modification
- wood processing
- fibre sciences
- pulp and paper testing
- bio-refinery technologies (including bio-energy and biofuels, polymers and
- composites, packaging, chemical synthesis and design, industrial biotechnology)
- clean technologies.
Scion also has capability in supply-chain diagnostics, and value-chain design and strategy.